Miss Carroll's Kitchen - December 2023
Miss Carroll’s Toffee Squares
Toasted pecans, milk chocolate, and toffee bits - well that is a combination of deliciousness!
My mom’s dear friend, Mary, used to make these for my family during the holiday season and I looked forward to them each year. At some point, Mrs. Mary shared her recipe with me and I am grateful! I tweaked it slightly by adding the toffee bits and clarified the instructions but the toffee bar's integrity was not changed. They are just as I remember them when I was a young girl living in Euless, Texas!
I like these toffee bars because the base is soft yet firm. The milk chocolate and toasted pecans add just enough richness to upscale the entire experience. I baked a batch on Sunday and shared them with a group of friends and my husband and they were inhaled! So, I will need to bake another batch to share with my neighbors. I think my love language is baking and cooking for the people I love! Happy baking!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Baking Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Servings: 24 toffee squares
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 9x13-inch baking pan
- Parchment paper
- Wire cooling rack
- Bench scraper
Toffee Squares Ingredients
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon fine salt
- 3 bars of Hershey milk chocolate
- ½ cup chopped nuts
- English Toffee baking bits, 8 ounces (Heath Bits O’Brickle), if desired
Toffee Squares Directions
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Prepare a 9x13 inch baking pan by lining it with parchment paper and allowing overhang slightly on each of the 4 sides. Spray the parchment paper. Set aside.
- Place chopped nuts in an iron skillet and heat on the stovetop over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes or until the nuts give off a fragrant aroma. Stir frequently. Remove from heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, and sugar. Cream for about 2-3 minutes at medium speed on the mixer until fluffy,
- Add the egg yolk and vanilla extract. Mix until combined.
- At low speed on the mixer, stir in the flour and salt.
- Spread the mixture evenly into the 9x13-inch pan using an offset spatula.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until nicely browned on top but soft to the touch.
- Immediately upon removing the pan from the oven, place the chocolate on top of the toffee squares. Allow the chocolate to melt and change to a shiny texture. Using an offset spatula, spread the chocolate evenly.
- Sprinkle the chopped nuts over the chocolate.
- Add toffee baking bits, if desired.
- Once slightly cooled, lift the toffee bars out of the pan using the parchment paper edges and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Using a bench scraper, press down into the toffee square to cut into squares.
ENJOY and make memories with the ones you love! 💗
About Miss Carroll
Miss Carroll's Kitchen is named after Clara Carroll, a former Home Economics teacher at Paul's high school and a lifelong friend. Carroll, now a retired professor of Home Economics from Harding University, brings unique recipes and ideas to make your seasons and home great. Her wealth of knowledge in Home Economics is sure to impress and inspire all who try her delicious creations.