Miss Carroll's Kitchen - December 2023
Miss Carroll’s Fresh Apple Tart
Iwas born in McKinney, Texas and since recently visiting a pie shop in the historic downtown, I have enjoyed playing with various ways to enjoy pie. An apple pie or apple tart is the perfect beginning of perfecting the pie-making process. I usually use Granny Smith apples for pie-making; however, there are so many types of apples, so use the apples that you most love. Sometimes I combine several kinds of apples, such as Granny Smith and Honeycrisp and it is so yummy!
I use this same recipe when I want to make a double-crust apple pie. For an apple tart, I may use 6 apples and for an apple pie, I’ll use about 8 apples.
Serve with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce and you’ll find that you are making this apple tart on repeat for many family and friend occasions!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Baking Time: 55 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 10 minutes
Servings: One 9-inch apple tart
- Pastry mat
- Rolling pin
- Pastry brush
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
Apple Tart Ingredients
- ½ recipe of my Pastry Pie dough recipe (found at GuessnCompany, Miss Carroll’s Kitchen)
- 3-4 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Dash of ground nutmeg
- 6-8 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into ½-inch slices, leave about 5-7 slices not peeled for garnish.
- 1-2 tablespoons salted butter
- Raw sugar
Apple Tart Directions
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Using enough pie pastry for one pie shell, on a lightly floured pastry mat, roll out pastry dough to form a 10-inch circle.
- Lay the pastry on the baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, prepare the apple pie filling by whisking together the sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Core, peel, and slice the apples and place in a medium bowl.
- In a medium bowl, add the sugar mixture to the sliced apples and thoroughly coat the apples with the mixture.
- Place the apples in the center of the pie pastry leaving about a 1 ½- inch edging to fold over the apples.
- Fold over the edges of the pie pastry leaving a center section not covered by the pastry.
- Fan out the 5-7 slices of unpeeled apple in the center of the pie for garnish.
- Dot with the butter over the pie.
- Brush the pastry with whipping cream and sprinkle raw sugar over the entire pie.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to 375℉ and continue to bake for about 30-40 minutes or until the apples are tender and the crust is golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Serve at room temperature with vanilla ice cream and a sprinkling of cinnamon.
ENJOY and make memories with the ones you love! 💗
About Miss Carroll
Miss Carroll's Kitchen is named after Clara Carroll, a former Home Economics teacher at Paul's high school and a lifelong friend. Carroll, now a retired professor of Home Economics from Harding University, brings unique recipes and ideas to make your seasons and home great. Her wealth of knowledge in Home Economics is sure to impress and inspire all who try her delicious creations.